“Jamilla’s love affair with fashion started at the age of 7 after coming across her aunt’s fashion sketches. At high school, she modelled for adverts on local TV station in Maputo as well as designing for the agency she was signed with, Estudio Stilo.
Due to her petite stature, she quit modelling and focused on designing full time, attending Institute de Bela Artes in Maputo and Fashion College International in Nairobi. At Nairobi, she founded SturCouture in 2000, which dealt with various fashion shows in Nairobi, Magadi and Dar Es Salaam.
In 2002, she returned to Dar Es Salaam and opened up Jamilla Vera Swai Studio to give local designers some heavy competition: participating in various fashion shows and designing for a growing group of clients including retail shops in Zanzibar, Nairobi and Dar Es Salaam.”
Photocredit: Simon Deiner/SDR Photo
Subscribe to our Newsletter
- Ladybrille Woman Quote of the Week by Patrice Juah
- Ladybrille Woman Quote of the Week by Lucilla Booyzen
- Meet Amina Hersi Moghe: One of Africa’s Most Successful Entrepreneurs
- Billionaire Robert F. Smith Promises to Pay Off Up to $40 Million in Student Loans for 2019 Moorehouse Graduates – Watch his Speech
- LADYBRILLE WOMAN QUOTE OF THE WEEK BY LISA NICHOLS
Founded in 2007 by Fashion Model/Fashion & Entertainment Lawyer Ms. Uduak, Ladybrille® Magazine is a California based pioneer digital publication demystifying the image of Africans in the west through contemporary African fashion and celebrating the brilliant woman in business and leadership, with an emphasis on the African woman in the diaspora. Our coverage includes stories on capital, access to markets, expertise, hiring and retention, sales, marketing, and promotions.