Carlo Gibson, the creative director behind the brand Klipa is wittingly brilliant and has the ability to communicate diverse thoughts through fashion on the preservation of culture.
Gibson opened his Spring/Summer 2019 show with a masqueraded man (but for his exposed face) performing on stilts. This followed with two other masqueraded individuals who later unveiled their identities to reveal the colorful clothes they were wearing. It was a preview to the main show. When the show began, it was an electric fusion of cultures, colors, layers all combined to make a statement about luxurious homegrown African fashion.
Klipa is derived from the South African slang word, meaning “a hundred” in monetary terms, a showing of Gibson’s commitment to showcasing ‘100% homegrown’ designs.
Gibson is one of the successful candidates of the Cape Wools SAFW Designer Challenge 2018; and watching his creativity in full display at the spring show, it is clear to see why.
The designer showed his collection on the second day of South Africa Fashion Week held April 3-6th, 2019.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
- Billionaire Robert F. Smith Promises to Pay Off Up to $40 Million in Student Loans for 2019 Moorehouse Graduates – Watch his Speech
- LADYBRILLE WOMAN QUOTE OF THE WEEK BY LISA NICHOLS
- LBW070: Meet Lucilla Booyzen, Founder of South African Fashion Week and Ladybrille Woman of the Month May 2019
- Recap: Arise Fashion Week 2019 Adds Pop Up Shops and Business Seminars to Prestigious Event
- LADYBRILLE WOMAN QUOTE OF THE WEEK BY CHEF TOYA BOUDY
A running feature for 12 years on Ladybrille.com, The ‘Ladybrille Woman of the Month’ celebrates women in business and leadership, who empower themselves and others through their contributions and actions in their local and international communities. In 2014, the feature expanded to include a podcast show. If you would like to nominate a woman to be celebrated, please email email@example.com.