This weekend’s 2008 Nigeria Entertainment Awards [NEA]was chic, glamorous, fun and emphasized what most already know, “Africa has some of the most GORGEOUS women you’ll ever see!” Of course we were there and we bring you some of the brilliant moments, artists, winners and looks from this year’s event!
TOP SEVEN BRILLIANT MOMENTS AT THE 2008 NEA AWARDS
- When recording artist Modele sang Nigeria’s National Anthem, beautiful!
- When Atlanta based Zainab performed “Moving on,” captivating!
- When Ndu, Canadian based R &B singer and rapper performed ‘Lil’ Poetry,” smooth!
- Absolutely brilliant and very funny was Comedian Basorge who won Best Comedian of the Year. A taste of his comedy? He highly anticipated visiting the UK. Ultimately, he was granted a visa to do so. He had a final destination/ address in the UK and had memorized it in anticipation for immigration in the UK. He gets to the UK and is greeted by immigration at the airport in the form of a white lady with a very strong british accent. He mimics her strong accent, which is unintelligible and gets a hearty laughter from the audience, asking him where he is going. After three failed attempts to understand what she is saying and fearing he will be sent back to Africa, he decides to play deaf and dumb.
In response, she calls her supervisor and says, “we have a problem here. This man is deaf and dumb and has no address.” The supervisor replies, “have you tried sign language?” She responds, “yes but he does not understand it.” The supervisor says, “well if there is no address and he is deaf and dumb, then we will just have to send him back to Africa unless we can find someone to interpret.” Comedian Basorge scored a hysterical laughter with his audicence when he said he broke out of his deaf and dumb character, immediately raised his hands and in a thick Nigerian accent said, “I will interpret!” because he was NOT going back to Africa!
- Fuji icon Adewale Ayuba doing an impromptu acapella of his hit “Raise The Roof” on stage as he prepared to present an award.
- Tosin Martins performing “Olo mi” and the ladies singing along with him.
- Eldee performing and having most of the audience respond by getting up and dancing along with him.
BRILLIANT EMERGING ARTISTS
These artists we felt had great cross over appeal and with time will be a global sensation:
BRILLIANT 2008 NEA AWARDS WINNERS
Best Album of the Year: ASA by Asa
Hottest Single of the Year: Yahooze by Olu Maintain
Best New Act of the Year: TY Bello
Best Afro Pop Act of the Year: 9ice
Best Gospel Act of the Year: Dekunle Fuji
Music Producer of the Year: Dr Frabs
Best Music Video of the Year: Do Me by P Square
Best International Single of the Year: Spray Me Money Remix by Oladele ft Eldee
Best International Album of the Year: Chapter XIII by Keno
Best International Producer of the Year: T Money
Best International Music Video Of the Year: Wetin Man Go Do by Amplifyd Crew
International Event of the Year (Presented to a promoter): NRC Reunion
Best World DJ: DJ Humility
Best Comedian: Basorge
Best Film: Blessed Among Women
Best Actor: Olu Jacobs
Best Actress: Kate Henshaw
U.S Based Promoter of the Year: Tribe X Entertainment
BRILLIANT LOOKS AT THE 2008 NEA AWARDS
[All photos by Kolure images, unless otherwise stated]
We loved Maryland based recording artist Kecha’s very cool belt.
Dallas based African Kings. Absolutely hillarious to watch and we dug their hip-hop look.
Kemi Adetiba, Nigerian TV personality
Remi Fagbohun (R), proprietor of the versatile shopper with husband Shola Adebayo Fagbohun
Tosin Martins being interviewed by the lovely Lola Adesioye of the Guardian, UK
NEA’s President Tope Esan
Absolutely funny man with a fierce and smooth swagger, Basorge
Co-host of 2008 NEA Awards, Tatiana who was 2nd runner up in Big Brother Africa.
Gospel Artist Dekunle Fuji
Fuji Legend Adewale Ayuba
Recording artist, Modele