The concept for the Female Only Filmmaker Project is to provide female writer/ director teams from the industry, particularly those from historically disadvantaged backgrounds, with an opportunity to make a film in collaboration with other women. We are looking for writer/director teams who can come with a strong idea /concept / script, to be developed either as part of a writer/director team or on their own as a writer/director. The applicants will be guided in the development of their stories into 24 minute scripts over a period of 5 months.
Themes and Story Ideas
Ideally, the concept is for a 24 minute stand alone film with a clearly thought out premise or controlling idea that would allow it to be packaged with at least 4 other projects with the theme of either “I looked up…” or “Suddenly…..” The story can refer to something actually happening or something abstract which implies the character learnt something.
- The scripts will be prepped for camera in preparation for the production of the films with the aim of the films being completed by March 2014. During this process each director will be provided with the necessary tools to break down scripts for camera as well as detailed strategies for extracting the best performances from the actors.
- The successful projects and teams will then be provided with a professional production crew to shoot their film. A post-production supervisor will be appointed to assist them in the editing and final delivery of the film.
- Once the films are completed the producers in association with the NFVF will be involved in developing a strategy for marketing and distribution.
- Finally, a special premiere of three of the best completed films as chosen by their peers will be held at a suitable venue to be confirmed with the cast, crew and creative personnel as well as NFVF council and staff.
In order for a filmmaker to be considered for this opportunity, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Have worked in the industry for at least three years.
- Be a Historically Disadvantaged Individual as defined in the constitution of South Africa.
- Be able to set aside the requisite time over a period of 10 months to complete the programme.
Eligible candidates must:
- Demonstrate familiarity with the tools of scriptwriting including software, formatting, scheduling and editing.
- Demonstrate the ability to direct and understanding of the dramatic world of story-telling.
- Demonstrate a willingness and ability to work as a part of a team in the pursuit of the same objective.
- Understand the value of and is able to work under pressure and tight schedules.
- Have a show-reel or, in the case of writers – a script, that demonstrates their creative abilities
- Have a portfolio of work to show their capability.
- Have directed or written a documentary, commercial, soapie or TV drama.
All applications should be able to provide the following documentation in hard copy (in triplicate) for consideration to our address:
Attention: Thandeka Zwana
2nd Floor, 87 Central Street, Houghton, 2198, South Africa
The director / writer or the director/writer team application form requires the following:
- CV and copy of ID document, with two references.
- Evidence of your creative writing and directing experience:
- Director / Writer with a narrative treatment for 24 minute film including character bible, detailed synopsis, major turning point document and one page synopses of the story.
- Or to collaborate with writer who can submit a narrative treatment for 24 minute film including character bible, detailed synopsis, major turning point document and one page synopses of the story.
- Five hundred word review of your favourite film
- One page summary of your interest as a filmmaker, stating the kind of stories you want to tell and for what audience.
- DVD show-reel of your work as a director
- 10 pages of a shooting script you have prepared and / or a storyboard
Closing Date: 24 May 2013