It is always exciting to see the works of African designers get the glory they deserve on the global stage. One of our Ladybrille design labels to watch, Maki Oh, just got such global attention when The First Lady of the United States, Michelle Obama, rocked a Maki Oh Adire ‘Tally’ print shirt during her recent trip to South Africa.
The ‘Tally’ shirt made its debut at the brand’s Spring/Summer 2013 collection and as the designer explained then, the shirt was constructed by taking adire ‘tally’ prints and hand-painting them onto silk chiffon panels.
Congratulations to the Maki Oh on the continued global spotlight.
Michelle Obama continues to show an interest for the works of emerging and minority designers in general. She has worn the designs of Jason Wu, Duro Olowu and Bunmi Koko, to name a few.
Check out some pictures and watch the video of her session with South African youths in the Maki Oh shirt.
- Meet Lola Banjo, Strategic Innovation Executive and Ladybrille Woman of the Month, February 2019
- Watch Paris Fashion Week Haute Couture S/S 2019 Day 3 Shows: Valentino, Elie Saab, Zuhair Murad & More
- Watch Paris Fashion Week Haute Couture S/S 2019 Day 2 Shows: Chanel, Givenchy, Giorgio Armani Prive & More
- Watch Paris Fashion Week Haute Couture S/S 2019 Day 1 Shows: Christian Dior, Schiaparelli & More
- Meet Iman Al Touijri, Philanthropist & Ladybrille Woman of the Month January 2019
Founded in 2007 by Fashion Model/Fashion & Entertainment Lawyer Ms. Uduak, Ladybrille® Magazine is a California based pioneer digital publication demystifying the image of Africans in the west through contemporary African fashion http://sherrystickets.com/ResultsTicket.php?evtid=3854500 and celebrating the brilliant woman in business and leadership, with an emphasis on the African woman in the diaspora. Our coverage includes stories on capital, access to markets, expertise, hiring and retention, sales, marketing, and promotions.