Karen Millen opened Audi Joburg Fashion Week 2010 with an overall strong start. The UK label which showed on 1/20/2010 had a lot of great pieces which could be trends but also a few misses.
What we liked
- Great use of sequins
- Biker jackets cleverly paired with gorgeous gowns
- a nod to Herve leger with a knit bandaged black and white dress
- Cascading ruffled skirts
- Suede thigh and knee high boots which Africa’s Supermodel Millen Magese looked so good in on the runway
- Use of whites, nudes, black and the occasional color splash of red, orange and pink
- Great draping skills displayed especially on sweaters; and
- Sexy silk embroidered dresses
- Fun accessories from clutches to bracelets
What we Disliked
- The super mini dresses in mostly black. They were for the most part so unflattering on many of the models on the ramp. Which made us wonder, “if they are that unflattering on such skinny models, how will they look on the average Ladybrille woman?” Nope! We will pass.
- The use of silk organza and charmeuse fabrics in pink, orange and red just did not go down well. Too many creases, the fit was poor on many of the models and overall not a polished look. The fur shawls on some of them
Strong collection , overall but could have been edited to remove the unneccessary and overly busy designs.
~Photocredit: Simon Deiner/SDR Photo