18 Scholarships Totaling $200,000 to be Awarded
Women’s specialty retailer Talbots announces the launch of the Talbots Charitable Foundation’s 2012 Scholarship Program, which empowers women to enrich themselves by returning to college later in life. For the 2012 academic year, the Foundation will award 17 $10,000 scholarships and one $30,000 Nancy Talbot Scholarship Award, in memory for the company’s founder. This award will be presented to the finalist demonstrating creativity, conviction and an entrepreneurial spirit
The Talbots Scholarship Program is accepting applications online now through January 3, 2012 at Talbots.com/scholarship. The program is administered by Scholarship Management Services, a division of Citizen’s Scholarship Foundation of America, Inc. The following women will serve on the panel of judges to assist in the selection of finalists:
- Joy Bauer, America’s favorite nutritionist and author
- Kate Betts, fashion editor and author
- Jean Chatzky, award winning journalist and best selling financial expert
- Rachael Chong, founder and CEO of Catchafire, helping nonprofits access probono
- Sunita Cooke, president of Grossmont College
- Kelly Corrigan, New York Times bestselling author
- Ann Daly, career coach, consultant and author
- Beth Kanter, blogger, social media expert and author
- Gloria Cordes Larson, president of Bentley University
- Pamela Mitchell, founder and CEO of the Reinvention Institute
- Mary Alice Stephenson, fashion and style expert and commentator
- Trudy Sullivan, president and CEO of The Talbots, Inc.
“We believe that education opens opportunities for women and are very pleased to increase the number of scholarships that will be granted in 2012,” said Lori Wagner, Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer, Talbots. “Every one of the 15 years we’ve been running the Program, we’ve been awed and inspired by our applicants’ determination and ability to re-imagine the world as they know it.”
Eligibility requirements include women who currently reside in United States or Canada, earned their high school diploma or GED on or before September 2002, and are currently enrolled or planning to enroll in a college or university.
“Now at 52, I finally have the opportunity to prove that I can succeed in college,” said Patricia Welch, the 2011 Nancy Talbot Scholarship recipient. “Receiving the scholarship allows me to reach my full potential as an artist and educator and fulfill my dreams of utilizing sculpture and film making to assist women and children who are beginning their healing journey.”
Talbots Focus on Education
The Talbots Scholarship Program is sponsored by the Talbots Charitable Foundation, Inc., an IRS recognized 501 (c)(3) charitable organization. The Foundation provides financial support to non-profit organizations that enrich the lives of women. The Scholarship Program has helped over 600 women pursue their educational dreams since its inception in 1997.
Talbots (NYSE: TLB) is a specialty retailer and direct marketer of women’s apparel, shoes and accessories. The Company’s online shopping site is located at www.talbots.com.