Designers, this is an opportunity you should not miss! Jump on it and spread it to your design buddies!
What: Handbag Designer 101
presents the Third Annual Independent Handbag Designer Awards™, the only handbag (and now shoe) design competition of its kind in the world applications process is now open. Sponsors include CRYSTALLIZED (™) – Swarovski Elements, Singer Sewing Company, WWDMAGIC, Parsons The New School for Design, Pantone, Foot Petals, Devi Kroell, The Fashion Center, UK Trade and Investment, The Garment Industry Development Corporation, The Luxury Institute, Ripe Ideas, Soho House NYC, Red Branch Public Relations, Collective-E, Miss Meghan, Braccialini, Rosangel/Gran Centenario, Wathne Limited, M&J Trimming, Leather Suede Skins, Rosen & Chadick Fabrics, RIRI Zippers/Pacific Trimmings, Verve NYC and Bottomless Closet.
This year’s ICONOCLAST Recipient is Lulu Guinnessfor her 20 years of Lifetime Achievement in Handbag Design.
Who: All finalists will be invited to participate in the Third Annual Independent Handbag Designer Awards™ that will take place on June 17, 2009, at the New York Historical Society in New York City. Over 500 members of the fashion industry, including press and retailers, will attend the Independent Handbag Designer Awards™.
A Judging Panel consisting of Famed Handbag Designer and 2007 IHDA Lifetime Achievement Recipient of 2007, Carlos Falchi, Lisa Smilor (Associate Director for the Council of Fashion Designers of America:CFDA), Stephan Toljan, (CCB Vice President Market Management of Swarovski), Devi Kroell (Creative Director for Devi Kroell), Katie Hoy (Trade Marketing Manager for Singer Sewing Company), Tina Aldatz (President of Foot Petals), Meghan Cleary (Miss Meghan: America’s Shoe Expert) and Julia Poteat (Assistant Professor of Fashion Methods for Parsons The New School for Design) will decide who has the “Top Handbag and Shoe Design” and select a winner from each respective category.
Why: Designers will win the opportunity to:
– Best Use of CRYSTALLIZED (™) – Swarovski Elements: Receive a crystal sponsorship with free access to crystals and Swarovski know how, to produce a limited edition of the winner bag. In addition, the winning handbag will be featured in several CRYSTALLIZED (™) channels and communication tools in the US and internationally with industry and end consumer exposure.
– Best Handmade Handbag: Win the chance to have a ‘designer feature’ on Singer Sewing Company’s website, as well as creating a downloadable pattern for the Singer audience and a new SINGER CURVY™ sewing machine
– Best Handbag in Overall Style and Design: To be showcased at WWDMAGIC with a free booth and display as well as develop a capsule collection for well-known retailer
– Best Shoe in Overall Style and Design: To develop capsule collection in collaboration with Foot Petals as well as being showcased at WWDMAGICwith a free booth and display
– Best Student Made Handbag: Win a prestigious apprenticeship with Devi Kroell
– Best Green Handbag: Win the chance to work with top Green brand and develop a collaborative product
– Most Socially Responsible Handbag: Win recognition on the world-wide platform for creating a beautiful bag that impacts a local culture
– Audience Fan Favorite: To be determined the night of the event
When: June 17th, 2008, 7pm
Where: The New York Historical Society, 170 Central Park West at 76th & 77th Street
Founded in 2007, Ladybrille® Magazine is a California based pioneer digital publication demystifying the image of Africans in the west through contemporary African fashion and celebrating the brilliant woman in business and leadership, with an emphasis on the African woman in the diaspora. Our coverage includes stories on capital, access to markets, expertise, hiring and retention, sales, marketing, and promotions.