Nigerians say “Never Again” to Mob Justice; Launch Campaign to Advocate for Security Sector Reform and Anti-Mob Justice Draft Bill.
On Friday October 5th 2012, four students of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT) were brutally murdered by a mob for alleged robbery. Spectators stood by filming the gruesome event on their mobile phones and circulating the content on the internet. The students were: Ugonna Obuzor (18), Lloyd Toku (19), Tekena Elkanah (20) and Chiadika Biringa (20). They are the #Aluu4. Many have said that Jungle Justice is not new in Nigeria and that it happens almost every day, unreported. However, this time it was captured in video.
As Nigerians, we cannot sit back and allow such heinous acts to continue as normal occurrences. There comes a time when enough is enough. That time is now!
All across the nation, Nigerians have united in one voice to say Never Again,to Jungle Justice and to advocate for SECURITY SECTOR REFORM and an ACT TO AMEND CHAPTER 10 OF OUR CURRENT CRIMINAL CODE ACT, CAP C38 LFN 2004, making provision for laws relating specifically to mob justice and related offences.
WHAT YOU CAN DO?
1. Donate a tweet and display a picture image using the attached NEVER AGAIN icon and hashtag #NeverAgainNG
2. Join our twitterton on Thursday, October 26 as we advocate against mob justice, on Social Media, hashtag #NeverAgainNG
3. Use the sample picture to make a white or blackt-shirt. Wear your t-shirt for the:
• #NeverAgainNGPress Conference
• and the #NeverAgainNGMemorial
4. Add your signature to the petition for a Mob Justice Draft Bill via http://ofilispeaks.com/aluu4/
5. Send your #NeverAgainNGpicture message to email@example.com or tweet it with hashtag#NeverAgainNG
6. Write a poem, article or blog for our #NeverAgainNGBloggers & Poets and send firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Hold a#NeverAgainNGeventin your Mosque or Church
We are ordinary Nigerians but refuse to let this happen, ever again. Join us as we amplify our voices in saying NEVER AGAIN!!!
To join this movement or for enquiries and event dates, please contact: