Supermodel Iman was a guest speaker earlier this year at Essence Carnival where she shared six key life lessons from her 40 years experience in the modeling industry. In a nutshell, she said:
1. Find your tribe: They are there specifically for you.
2. Intern: Intern is good and essential. Don’t be afraid to even intern with your future competitor, find out what they are up to.
3. Ask for help: Regardless of how successful you are, ask for help. Even though she was a very successful model, she always asked for help.
4. Word of Mouth: “Ground outreach” is still the best way to reach out. Reach out and ask for help.
5. Ask for your worth: Open the doors for others. Black models were not getting the big advertising jobs, and representation wasn’t absent when
6. Know your worth: Know your worth, it helps with longevity.
Watch the video to see her full breakdown and discussion of her points.