Supermodel Iman was a guest speaker earlier this year at Essence Carnival where she shared six key life lessons from her 40 years experience in the modeling industry. In a nutshell, she said:
1. Find your tribe: They are there specifically for you.
2. Intern: Intern is good and essential. Don’t be afraid to even intern with your future competitor, find out what they are up to.
3. Ask for help: Regardless of how successful you are, ask for help. Even though she was a very successful model, she always asked for help.
4. Word of Mouth: “Ground outreach” is still the best way to reach out. Reach out and ask for help.
5. Ask for your worth: Open the doors for others. Black models were not getting the big advertising jobs, and representation wasn’t absent when
6. Know your worth: Know your worth, it helps with longevity.
Watch the video to see her full breakdown and discussion of her points.
Founded in 2007, Ladybrille® Magazine is a California based pioneer digital publication demystifying the image of Africans in the west through contemporary African fashion and celebrating the brilliant woman in business and leadership, with an emphasis on the African woman in the diaspora. Our coverage includes stories on capital, access to markets, expertise, hiring and retention, sales, marketing, and promotions.