Budding fashion designers everywhere feel they have what it takes to break into the fashion industry. So comes the question: “as an aspiring designer with skills and talent, is there still a need for me to attend a fashion school?”
Even if you feel you know everything there is to know about fashion, there is a lot more to the fashion industry that every potential designer should have a basic understanding of.
From design to production, the field of fashion involves many different aspects like idea, design and creation.
Why you should attend a fashion school
Fashion design school can actually provide you with a lot more benefits than you might be aware of beyond the class information and skills that you will learn. The nitty gritty of dressmaking, pattern, colour, textiles, sewing, tailoring, fashion history and computer aided design are taught. There will be professionals representing each of those areas, giving you the opportunity to really see what it takes to work in each field. More importantly, many of the big names in the Nigerian Fashion industry went to fashion schools either in Nigeria or abroad.
Fashion schools will not only keep you informed, but will also enhance your talents and special interests because unformed talent is not enough for success in fashion today. You need to be properly trained to get this talent on the right track. Apart from technical skills, courses are offered dealing with every aspect of the business field: business, marketing and fashion merchandising.
To be successful in the fashion industry it is essential to have business skills to advance your career.
Breaking into the fashion industry requires more than a degree in design; it also involves a strong business sense. You must be able to market yourself and your designs in order to break into the competitive fashion industry. Taking additional coursework in business and marketing are a sure way to make yourself marketable in such a competitive industry.
What to look out for in a fashion school
Going to fashion school is not enough but choosing the right one is as equally important. You must put some factors into consideration when you look into fashion design schools.
- First of all, determine the nature of the school. What is its area of focus? Does it place emphasis on fashion design, or is fashion design only one of the many other courses it offers.
- The school must be accredited by the necessary government/educational or fashion body in the country to prove their level of competence.
- Know your strengths and fashion preferences, and choose a school that specializes in the field of your choice.
- Find out if the fashion design school has alumni who are now successful in their professions. This is a reliable indicator of the competence of the school.
- You should also check the school’s curriculum and assess if it is relevant to your field of study.
What else to do to boost your career
Talent and passion are not enough to become a successful fashion designer. It is important to keep yourself abreast of what is going on in the fashion industry. Be conversant with relevant journals that report fashion. Also, look out for fashion workshops, seminars and participate. It also pays to attend fashion shows. Applying for an internship job with a top designer will help a great deal. It is like learning directly from the pro.
In the end, deciding to attend fashion design school can really change your future and put you in the best position to reach your full potential.
Some recommended fashion schools in Nigeria
- Fashion and arts creative academy (house of henri 6 sabiu ajose st off a slereogun sanya
- Ginani Fashion training, Suite B6/11 Adeniran ogunsanya shopping complex, Surulere
- Glamour Institute of Fashion and Textile, 74 Adebola street, Surulere
-Photocredit: Genevieve Magazine