In November of 2019, Cynthia Marshall made history as the first African-American woman to head an NBA franchise, the Dallas Mavericks. As exciting as that news was, the task ahead was daunting.
You see, Marshall had just been tapped to clean up and restore credibility and integrity to the franchise in the wake of shocking revelations of rampant sexual misconduct and a very toxic corporate work culture.
Within a span of two months Cynt, as she is affectionally called, has changed the narrative and is restoring the goodwill of the Mavericks brand, again. In this incredible interview with Black Enterprise, she shares just how she got the job and is still getting the job done.
Some important moments from her interview include:
1. Sharing her daily mantra which is to “dream, focus, pray, act.”
2. Sharing her nine value based leadership principles: respect, authenticity, faith, integrity, truth, fun, fairness, action and family.
- Cynt’s personal background including dealing with domestic violence.
- How her mom pivoted and was determined to ensure her children would be successful.
- The importance of having hope.
- How she met her husband but made him wait 4 years so she could focus on getting her education.
- How the Dallas Mavericks job came about and her initial hesitation to take the job.
- Learning and dealing with a diagnosis of stage 3 colon cancer.
- How she created the new plan and positive work culture for the Dallas Mavericks.
- How she built her personal brand.
- How to know your value.
Recommended book reading: MORE
Watch her powerful interview.
Photo: Black Enterprise
Founded in 2007, Ladybrille® Magazine is a California based pioneer digital publication demystifying the image of Africans in the west through contemporary African fashion and celebrating the brilliant woman in business and leadership, with an emphasis on the African woman in the diaspora. Our coverage includes stories on capital, access to markets, expertise, hiring and retention, sales, marketing, and promotions.