Applause Africa will host its seventh annual African Diaspora Awards (ADA) on Saturday, December 2nd, 2017, at 7 pm at the premiere Florence Gould Hall, located in New York City. Red carpet arrivals will begin at 6 pm. The ADA Awards ceremony applauds outstanding African leaders who have been engines of impact and change to inspire the African community within the U.S. and around the world.
The 2017 ADA Honorees are:
- ImeIme Umana President of Harvard Law Review, Person of the year;
- Jaha Dukureh Human rights activist, Humanitarian of the Year;
- Richelieu Dennis Founder, Sundial Brands & Shea Moisture, Entrepreneur of the Year;
- Ethiopia Habtemariam President of Motown Records, Mark of Excellence Award;
- Cece Olisa Entrepreneur, Bloggers and Influencer, Face of Change;
- Christine Sass Cofounder and President at Andela, Friends of Africa;
- Darlene and Lizzy Okpo, Designer of the Year;
- Elizabeth Ngozi CEO of Afrika Tikkun USA, Afrika Tikkun USA, Advocate of the Year;
- Famond Konneh Bronx Borough Director, NYC (CAU), Community Service of the Year;
- Ugo Nwaokoro Deputy Mayor of the City of Newark, New Jersey, Governance and Civic Leadership Award;
- Constance Ipoh Education scholar and Professor, Scholar of the Year;
- Christian Epps, Creative Person of the Year; Cellulant, Ken Njoroge and Bolaji Akinboro, Company of the Year.
A special tribute will be paid to the late Dr. Babtunde Osotimehin who championed health and well-being through his humanitarian work with the United Nations.
The African Diaspora Awards is a special initiative that aims to celebrate exemplary individuals who have made a significant difference in the African community in the United States. The African Diaspora Awards aims to identify and celebrate notable Africans that have genuinely excelled in various spheres of life, as well as individuals in society who have contributed to the advancement of Africans in the Diaspora and Africa as a whole.
For more information, visit African Diaspora Awards.
Founded in 2007, Ladybrille® Magazine is a California based pioneer digital publication demystifying the image of Africans in the west through contemporary African fashion and celebrating the brilliant woman in business and leadership, with an emphasis on the African woman in the diaspora. Our coverage includes stories on capital, access to markets, expertise, hiring and retention, sales, marketing, and promotions.