#1. Meet a wide range of companies
The Creative Careers Fair will bring you face to face with several companies and dozens of professionals who you can approach to discuss job opportunities, career advice, educational options, freelance opportunities, consulting gigs and more. You can ask people how it is to work in a company and hear more about the application process.
#2. Show who you are – and be remembered!
The Creative Careers Fair is a unique opportunity for you to get direct access to many potential recruiters and show who you are. This is your chance to “plant a seed” with the people you meet and ensure that your name is remembered in the future. It allows you to put a face and personality to your CV and to create personal rapport with companies and established people in the industry.
#3. Build Relationships Even if you are not looking for a job?
The creative industries are highly competitive. Just as companies spend money to remain top of mind for consumers, you need to create and maintain your personal brand and good relationships with employees of different companies. This will put you steps ahead when you eventually are looking for a new job. Think long term and use the Fair to help carve your career.
#4. Obtain practical advice that you need
The Creative Careers Fair will also bring you practical advice in the form of the Advice Stand by recruitment experts Warren and Finch who can advise you on your CV, interviewing skills, job finding skills and so on. Also there are about 12 seminars on opportunities in different industries, given by people who are working professionals and who really know their stuff. These inspirational seminars may even highlight a career opportunity that you have not even thought of.
******TIPS ON MAKING THE MOST OF THE FAIR
- Check out the list of companies that are participating and the speakers and do some research on the companies and people you most want to impress.
- Prepare a one-minute “sales pitch”. You only have ONE chance to make that first impression, so it pays to be ready. Think about your strong points, your career goals, the company you are approaching and what you would like to accomplish within the company.
- When you meet with recruiters or influential people, introduce yourself and, in a few words, state your career goals, and what you bring to the table. Do it with CONFIDENCE.
- Bring several copies of your resumé. Make sure yours is up to date and OUTSTANDING!
- Bring your portfolio, demos, showreels, DVDs, CDs, photographs – whatever shows your work
- Be sure to dress neatly, so you give a good impression.
- Don’t just hang with people you know – this is a great networking forum – talk to fellow participants as well as exhibitors and speakers
- Follow up with anyone you meet after the Fair with a phone call or email.
DATE & TIME
The fair takes place July 15 through the 16th, 2010
Time: 10am – 5pm daily
Venue: The new City Hall, Catholic Mission Street, By St. Nicholas Hospital, Lagos Island.